View all incidents

London Gun Shop Standoff: Metropolitan Police Confront Armed Suspects in Intense Showdown

London Gun Shop Standoff: Metropolitan Police Confront Armed Suspects in Intense Showdown
Services deployed
Metropolitan PoliceNational Health Service
Divisions deployed
Authorised Firearm OfficersDog Support UnitHazardous Area Response TeamHelicopter Emergency Medical ServiceLondon Ambulance Service

In the early hours of New Years Eve, MET Police Armed Response Vehicles (ARVs) were called to a silent alarm at a gun shop in central London, leading to a serious confrontation with armed suspects who barricaded themselves. The incident, involving multiple gunfire and injuries, unfolded as officers worked to contain the situation and protect the public.

The operation began when an ARV (Trojan 2) responded to the silent alarm, only to be met with gunfire from inside the premises. A swift containment around the area was established, with reinforcement from another ARV (Trojan 1). Armed officers approached the entrance, calling out to the suspects and urging them to surrender peacefully.

Despite attempts to establish communication and offers for surrender, suspects inside the gun shop refused, and started shooting at the entrance. A Specialist Rifle Officer (SRO) was strategically positioned across the gun shop, on a slip road on the M11, providing a tactical advantage as overwatch.

It was revealed that one suspect had fled the scene unarmed, while another suspect in red shirt inside the shop fired at officers. The situation escalated further when the suspect who had initially ran out of the shop, returned and attacked an officer. During the chaos, one suspect and two officers were extracted and rushed to the London Ambulance Service (LAS) staging area at 394 National Highways base.

As the situation escalated and suspects unwilling to comply, the decision was made to breach the building, leading to a confrontation where armed officers engaged suspects in a firefight. During the breach, officers faced additional injuries, with one collapsing after sustaining three gunshot wounds. The unfolding incident showcases the challenges and risks faced by law enforcement in high-pressure situations, emphasizing the dedication and bravery of the Metropolitan Police in maintaining public safety.

Reported by (TL6) Aiden W