View all incidents

High-Speed Pursuit Ends in Dramatic River Plunge: Multi-Agency Rescue Operation Ensues

Author: Keiron
Credit: Keiron
Services deployed
Metropolitan PoliceNational Health ServiceFire Brigade
Divisions deployed
Roads Transport Policing CommandEmergency Response TeamDog Support UnitAuthorised Firearm OfficersHazardous Area Response TeamLondon Fire BrigadeLondon Ambulance Service

A high adrenaline pursuit following a stabbing earlier this week took a turn today, leading to a multi agency rescue operation after the suspect car lost control after being spiked by police, leading to it plummeting down a hillside into a fast flowing river.

One suspect was trapped in the vehicle, which was partially submerged in the high currents, while the second suspect managed to escape mostly uninjured, leading to a foot chase with DSU (Dog Support Unit), supported by AFO (Authorised Firearms Officers), with further support from the Counter Terrorism Police, which were dispatched due to the proximity to the nearby RAF base.

The suspect on foot was apprehended and taken to custody after being treated by some minor wounds, however the male who was trapped in the car was taken to hospital with severe life changing injuries, and is likely to be in hospital for an extended period of time.

The following is a statement from Sam.B, a Traffic Officer who was on the pursuit: "Myself, RTPC and AFO were chasing down a suspect who was involved in a stabbing earlier that day. After a lengthy pursuit we had used our stingers (Also known as a spike deflation device), the vehicle was spiked, and the air was let out the tyres when the vehicle veered off to the right and went down a hill into the water. One out of the two in the wreck got out and ran from the vehicle, believed to be with a knife, so police units with the help of the dog team chased after him. Within a matter of minutes, we had our colleges from the London ambulance service and the London Fire Brigade turn up. The Fire Service with the help of the London Ambulance Services special team called HART extracted the male from the vehicle and treated him."